Friday 5 July 2013

Happy 4th of July from Freddie!

Freddie had a blast celebrating the Fourth of July this year. It was also the day before his fourteen-month birthday so it was a double celebration for the little lad. This is how we professed our American pride while living abroad.


1. We had an American-themed breakfast. Oatmeal with strawberries and blueberries. Delish!




 2. We dressed in our red, white and blue.
















3. We made a playlist of American songs on youtube (including this classic) and danced around the living room.

4. We made a flag cake! This is something my family (and many others) have done for years so it only felt right to continue the tradition with Freddie. It was also his first time (of many, I'm sure) to taste cake batter. Mmmmmm. Can't beat it (no pun intended).

I hope we'll be able to spend the 4th in Seattle one year in the near future so he can attend an event that holds some of my favorite memories as a child (and teen, I'm afraid to say) and that is to participate in a 4th of July parade. My sisters Francie, Margaret and a few cousins of mine (you know who you are) loved dressing up in bizarre costumes (not necessarily anything patriotic) and walking in the Edmond's kids' 4th of July parade.

We dressed as Top Ramen one year (complete with a human knife and fork), gals from the '60s another year (all you need is a scarf over your hair and a pair of old glasses) and, my personal favorite, prairie girls with a covered wagon (aka wheelbarrow). One of those brilliant ideas led to us receiving an Honorable Mention prize and I want to say it was the covered wagon. I mean, how could it not.

Hope you all had fun on the 4th (or, if you're a Brit, hope you had a good day Thursday and glad we've managed to patch things up since the 1700s)!


1 comment:

  1. U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A!!

    I was really hoping that link would be to an actual pic of you guys in the top ramen costume! Also, almost wet myself laughing when trying to tell Andy about the covered wagon!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...